How the Scam Works
- A customer receives a call from a fraudster claiming to be from the South State Bank’s “Fraud Department”.
- The fraudster “spoofs” the phone number to make it look like it is coming from South State Bank, N.A. Customer Care phone Number, 1-800-277-2175.
- The purpose for the call is to alert the customer of fraudulent transactions on their debit card. The transactions do not exist.
- The fraudster provides the last 4 digits of the card number and notifies the customer of a refund for the false transactions.
- The fraudster enters the customer’s username into online banking and selects “Forgot Password”.
- A “Forgot Password” Secure Access Code (SAC) is sent to the customer.
- The fraudster asks for the code and the customer provides it, thus giving the fraudster access to the customer’s online banking.
- The fraudster initiates Zelle payments prompting the customer to receive an SMS message to authorize payment.
- The customer replies YES to authorize the Zelle transaction and the funds are debited from the customer’s account.
Do Not Provide Your Information
While you may NOT have been targeted in this scam, now is a good time for us to remind all our customers to never provide this information. South State Bank will NEVER contact a customer to request sensitive information such as PINs, passwords, security codes, account numbers, a username, personal or account information.
What to Do if You Receive A Call
- Never provide a texted security code to anyone over the phone—it is only used to access your online account.
- If you receive a suspicious call from someone claiming to be from South State Bank requesting personal account information (like your username/password/security access code), hang up the phone.
- Remember that Caller IDs can be manipulated easily and are not a good way to confirm the identity of a caller.
If you believe you were a victim of this scam and provided any information over the phone, please contact our Call Center immediately at 855-863-2265.