What is Overdraft Privilege?
Overdraft Privilege is a discretionary service designed to help prevent your insufficient funds items from being returned or declined. With Overdraft Privilege, we have the option to cover your overdrafts up to your Overdraft Privilege limit (including fees) if you inadvertently overdraw your account. This can save you the embarrassment and inconvenience of a returned or declined item and the fees normally charged by merchants for items returned to them.
Please be aware that the Overdraft Privilege amount is not shown in your available balance, it is not a line of credit and it does not replace existing overdraft options such as drawing funds from a money market, savings account or line of credit, which may be less expensive alternatives to Overdraft Privilege.
How Does Overdraft Privilege Work?
These are the steps taken when you don’t have enough money to cover a transaction:
- First, we will try to move funds from other overdraft protection sources, such as a savings account or a line of credit if transfer provision is setup.
- If these resources are unavailable, we may pay the item and overdraw your account up to the amount of your Overdraft Privilege limit (including the overdraft fees).
- If Overdraft Privilege is utilized, we will charge the standard overdraft fee(s) for each paid item.
- Finally, you will need to bring your account current within 35 calendar days or we will reduce or withdraw your Overdraft Privilege.
Overdraft Privilege Options
- Standard: checks, ACH, teller and recurring debit card transaction overdrafts covered.
- Full: ATM and everyday debit card overdrafts covered in addition to those listed above. Requires your prior consent.
- None: No overdrafts covered. NSF items are returned to the payee or declined.
|With Overdraft Privilege||Without Overdraft Privilege|
|Written Check Amount:||$50||Written Check Amount:||$50|
|Overdraft Fee:||$35||NSF/Return Fee:||$35|
|Merchant Fee (up to):||$70|
|2nd NSF/Return Fee*||$35|
|You Pay||$85||You Pay||$190|
*If merchant re-deposits check and funds are still unavailable.
Ways to Cover Overdrafts
The choice is yours. Consider these ways to cover your overdrafts:
|Ways to Cover Overdrafts||Cost for Each Overdraft|
|Good account management||$0|
|Overdraft Privilege||$35 per overdraft|
|Link to savings account||$10 transfer fee|
Even if you elect to have additional forms of overdraft coverage, such as a transfer from a savings account, Overdraft Privilege is still available as secondary coverage if the other sources are exhausted.
What Types of Transactions Does Overdraft Privilege Cover?
|Type of Transaction||Covered by Overdraft Privilege?|
|ACH – Auto Debits||Yes|
|Recurring Debit Card Payments||Yes|
|Online Bill Pay Items||Yes|
|Internet Banking Transfers||Yes|
|At the Teller Window||Yes|
|Everyday Debit Card Purchases||Yes*|
*You will need to give your advance consent (opt in if you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts caused by ATM and everyday debit card transactions). IMPORTANT: If you do not give us your prior consent, your ATM or debit card will not work if you do not have available funds in your account.
How Much Does Overdraft Privilege Cost?
There is no fee for having Overdraft Privilege unless you use it. The Overdraft Fee of ($35 Fee) will be imposed for overdrafts created by checks, ACH, point-of-sale, ATM withdrawals, in-person withdrawals, or by other electronic means (If multiple items are presented against your account on the same day, each item will be assessed the appropriate fee. The maximum amount of overdraft or return fees for consumer accounts that will be charged to a customer’s account is $210.00 per day. We do not charge an overdraft fee if a consumer account is overdrawn by less than $5.00.). This is the same fee that (or lower than) CenterState Bank charges for items returned to the payee due to insufficient funds. A $35.00 Continuous Overdraft Charge will be charged to your account after your account has been overdrawn 7 calendar days.
What if I Don’t Want Overdraft Privilege?
You can request to discontinue the Overdraft Privilege service in its entirety at anytime by contacting us at your local branch. Without Overdraft Privilege, your insufficient funds items will be returned to the payee and/or declined at the point of purchase. You will be charged the standard NSF fee of $35 Fee for all returned items.
What if I want CenterState Bank to pay my ATM and everyday debit card overdrafts?
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts caused by ATM and everyday debit card transactions, tell us by using one of the following methods:
- Call or visit your local branch
- Send a secure message to us through online banking
- Complete the Opt-in Form which is available at any branch, was given when the account was opened, or was mailed to your listed address, and send it to us at:
ATTN: Deposit Operations
P.O. Box 9602
Winter Haven, FL 3383-9602
Items are paid in the following order each processing day: Deposits and credits, over the counter (teller) items, electronic and “ACH” items, then all the remaining items in sequential order. The order which transactions are received and processed can impact the total amount of fees incurred on your account.
We may not pay items under your overdraft privilege if you do not maintain your account in good standing such as:
- Not bringing your account to a positive balance within every thirty (35) day period for a minimum of one business day;
- If you default on any loan or other obligation to CenterState Bank; or
- If your account is subject to any legal or administrative order or levy.
Overdraft Privilege does not constitute either a written agreement of an obligation or a prearranged agreement to pay your overdraft. We may withdraw this privilege at any time.
Overdraft Privilege Summary
- Will consider overdraft payments of up to:
- $100 1st 30 days of account opening; After up to $500 with Personal Accounts.
- $100 1st 60 days of account opening; After up to $1000 with Business Accounts.
- May be available for eligible checking accounts in good standing. Available for checks, Online Bill Pay, ACH transactions, or automatic/preauthorized debits that you establish (insurance premiums, utility bills, etc.)
- Available for ATM and everyday debit card transactions with your prior consent.
- May enable you to avoid expensive merchant returned-check charges.
- May enable you to avoid having your insufficient ATM or debit card transactions declined.
- Please note that the balance displayed/printed at the ATM does not include the Overdraft Privilege limit unless two balances appear.
- You must deposit the full amount of the overdraft (within 35 days), including any fees assessed, and maintain a positive balance for at least 24 hours.
- If you have questions about this service or other overdraft coverage options, please talk to one of our Account Service representatives.